Issued 03:00 AM NST 26 January 2020
Today Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind light increasing to southeast 15 to 20 knots this evening and to southeast 25 near midnight. Wind increasing to southeast 35 overnight then diminishing to west 15 to 20 near noon Monday. Wind diminishing to light Monday evening.
Rain and fog patches overnight and Monday morning.
Temperatures minus 3 rising to plus 1 this afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 25 January 2020 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from New Brunswick near 4535N 6455W to
4515N 6500W to Nova Scotia near 4520N 6430W. Sea ice east of the ice
Second ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4435N 6330W to 4420N
6245W to 4555N 5920W to 4935N 6140W to 4955N 5820W to 4750N 5950W to
4725N 5915W to Newfoundland near 4720N 5510W. Sea ice west then
north then east then north of the ice edge.
Open water except 5 tenths grey ice in some bays.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 25 January 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 25 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5222N 5537W to 5330N 5245W to 5500N 5306W to 5700N 5600W then
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Southwest CoastIssued 03:00 AM NST 26 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 3:00 AM NST 26 January 2020 Today Tonight and Monday At 3:00 a.m. NST Monday approaching trough from low located on a
line east-west over the Gulf of St. Lawrence.
At 3:00 a.m. NST Monday approaching cold front from low located
on a line north-south over the Maritimes.
At 3:00 a.m. NST today high located over the southwestern Grand
By 3:00 a.m. NST Monday departing high located east of the Marine
Marine Weather StatementIssued 2:55 AM NST 26 January 2020 A trough of low pressure will approach the marine district tonight
and extend northeastward across Newfoundland Monday. Strong to gale
force northeasterlies are expected to develop north of this feature.
Meanwhile, a cold front will move across the southern marine district
on Monday. Strong to gale force southerlies will develop ahead of the
cold front and shift to moderate to strong westerlies in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for all
waters except Northeast Gulf - southeastern half, Gulf - Port au Port
- southeastern half, Northeast Coast, and Belle Isle Bank.
Marine interests are advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Northeast Gulf - northwestern half,
Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half, and Belle Isle Bank.
Atlantic - Maritimes Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Browns Bank
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- Eastern Shore - western half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Scotian Slope - eastern half
- East Scotian Slope - western half
- Georges Bank
- Grand Manan
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Halifax Harbour and Approaches
- LaHave Bank
- Laurentian Fan
- L'Isle-aux-Coudres to Tadoussac
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Pointe à Michel to Pointe-des-Monts
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - northern half
- Pointe-des-Monts to Anticosti - southern half
- Sable - eastern half
- Sable - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Shore
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- Tadoussac to Pointe à Michel
- West Scotian Slope
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: