Issued 03:30 PM NST 23 January 2020
Tonight and Friday.
Wind southwest 15 to 20 knots veering to west 20 this evening then to northwest 25 Friday morning. Wind diminishing to northwest 15 Friday afternoon.
Flurries ending overnight.
Temperatures minus 3 to plus 1.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 January 2020 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeFirst ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4525N 6415W to Nova
Scotia near 4515N 6400W. Sea ice east of the ice edge.
Second ice edge estimated from Nova Scotia near 4435N 6330W to 4420N
6245W to 4555N 5920W to 4845N 6135W to 4955N 5820W to 4750N 5950W to
4725N 5915W to Newfoundland near 4720N 5510W. Sea ice west then east
then north of the ice edge.
Open water except 5 tenths new ice including 2 tenths grey ice in
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 23 January 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 23 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5223N 5538W to 5330N 5400W to 5700N 5600W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountNo confirmed icebergs.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 8:00 PM NST 23 January 2020 Tonight and Friday At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight departing low 991 mb located east of the
At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight trough located on a line
northeast-southwest over Labrador.
By 8:00 p.m. NST Friday departing trough located east of the
At 8:00 p.m. NST tonight ridge located on a line northeast-southwest
over the East Coast of Newfoundland.
By 3:00 a.m. NST Friday weakening ridge located over the Grand
Marine Weather StatementIssued 7:41 PM NST 23 January 2020 A low pressure system just east of the Grand Banks will depart east
of the district this evening. Gale force northwesterlies will
diminish as the system moves away.
A trough of low pressure approaching from the northwest will cross
the district on Friday. Strong to gale force northwesterlies will
develop behind the trough.
Marine interests are gale warnings are in effect for Belle Isle Bank,
Funk Island Bank, Northern Grand Banks, and the Southeastern Grand
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for Strait of Belle Isle, Gulf waters, Northeast Coast, Belle
Isle Bank and Funk Island Bank.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - northeastern half
- Anticosti - southwestern half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank - northern half
- Funk Island Bank - southern half
- Gulf - Magdalen
- Gulf - Port au Port - northwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port - southeastern half
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf - northwestern half
- Northeast Gulf - southeastern half
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: