Mid Labrador Coast
Issued 09:30 PM NST 20 February 2020
Tonight and Friday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind northwest 55 knots diminishing to northwest 35 to 45 near noon Friday and to southwest 20 Friday evening.
Flurries ending Friday afternoon. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
Risk of freezing spray.
Temperatures near minus 20.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 20 February 2020 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4825N 5305W to 4755N 4930W
to 5415N 5105W to 5610N 5535W to 5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageIce pressure warning in effect.
9 tenths new ice including 4 tenths grey ice except 9 tenths
grey-white ice including 4 tenths first-year ice in the eastern
section. Strong ice pressure in the pack ice today and easing Friday
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 20 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4830N 5308W to 4805N 4825W to 4900N 4805W to 5045N 4730W to 5530N
5130W to 6100N 5700W to 6300N 5400W to 5830N 5000W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 20 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5150N 5615W to Newfoundland near 5133N 5600W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
Mid Labrador CoastIssued 9:30 PM NST 20 February 2020
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Mid Labrador CoastIssued 10:00 AM EST 20 February 2020
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM NST 20 February 2020 Tonight and Friday At 9:30 p.m. NST tonight low 975 mb located over the northern
South Labrador Sea.
By 9:30 p.m. NST Friday low 988 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:18 PM NST 20 February 2020 An intense low pressure system over the Northern South Labrador Sea
will drift southeastward tonight to lie southeast of the district on
Friday. Gale to storm force northwesterly winds are forecast south
and west of this system while strong to gale force east to
northeasterlies are expected to its north and east.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
the Labrador coast, South Labrador Sea, and Northwest Labrador Sea.
A gale warning is in effect for East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northern half
- Laurentian Fan - southern half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast - Cape St. John and south
- Northeast Coast - north of Cape St. John
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - northern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks - southern half
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: