Issued 04:00 PM NDT 20 March 2023
Tonight and Tuesday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 to 35 knots becoming northwest 25 this evening then veering to north 15 to 20 late overnight. Wind diminishing to north 10 to 15 Tuesday morning.
Snow. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Low tonight minus 8. Temperatures rising to minus 3 near midnight then falling to minus 7 Tuesday evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EDT 20 March 2023 Today Tonight and Tuesday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4647N 5257W to 4645N 5226W
to 4838N 5055W to 4957N 5140W to 5035N 5420W to 5437N 5305W to 5803N
5815W then northeastward. Sea ice north then west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
Warnings (In effect)
Gale warning in effect
Lake MelvilleIssued 4:00 PM NDT 20 March 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NDT 20 March 2023 Tonight and Tuesday At 4:00 p.m. NDT today low 972 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
By 4:00 p.m. NDT Tuesday departing low 972 mb located southeast
of the Marine District.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 PM NDT 20 March 2023 An intense low pressure system over the Belle Isle Bank will slowly
track eastwards tonight before moving to lie southeast of the marine
district late Tuesday. Gale to storm force northeast to northwesterly
winds over all waters will diminish to strong northwesterlies
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale, and East Labrador Sea.
Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining waters.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Anticosti - eastern half
- Anticosti - western half
- Banquereau - northern half
- Banquereau - southern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait
- Chaleur - Miscou - eastern half
- Chaleur - Miscou - western half
- Eastern Shore - eastern half
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northeastern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southwestern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northern half
- Laurentian Fan - southern half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Sable - eastern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast
- South Labrador Sea
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: