Issued 04:00 PM NST 23 January 2021
Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeast 35 to 45 knots becoming northeast 35 late overnight. Wind northeast 35 Sunday.
Periods of snow. Visibility 1 mile or less in snow.
Temperatures near zero.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 23 January 2021 Today Tonight and Sunday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 5105N 5545W to 5130N 5430W
to 5220N 5340W to 5500N 5445W to 5800N 5800W then northeastward. Sea
ice west of the ice edge.
Consolidated first-year ice.
Warnings (In effect)
Lake MelvilleIssued 4:00 PM NST 23 January 2021
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 23 January 2021 Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 p.m. NST today low 984 mb located over the Quebec Lower
By 4:00 p.m. NST Sunday dissipating low 989 mb located over Prince
At 4:00 p.m. NST today deepening low 979 mb located over eastern
Funk Island Bank.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Sunday low 974 mb located over Belle Isle Bank.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:45 PM NST 23 January 2021 A low pressure system over the Quebec Lower North Shore will track
southwestward to lie over Anticosti Island tonight before dissipating
on Sunday. North of the low strong to gale force northeasterly to
easterly winds will continue across southern waters tonight.
A second low pressure system over Funk Island Bank will move
northwards tonight and will drift slowly westwards across Southern
Belle Isle Bank on Sunday. Strong to gale force northeasterly to
easterly winds will increase to storm force winds over
southeasternmost waters overnight.
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
South Labrador Sea - southern half. Gale warnings are in effect for
Lake Melville, South Labrador Coast, Mid Labrador Coast, South
Labrador Sea - northern half, and East Labrador Sea - southern half.
Atlantic - Newfoundland Area
- Banquereau - northeastern half
- Banquereau - southwestern half
- Belle Isle Bank
- Bras d'Or Lakes
- Cabot Strait - northern half
- Cabot Strait - southern half
- Chaleur - Miscou
- Eastern Shore
- East Coast - Cape St. Francis and south
- East Coast - north of Cape St. Francis
- Funk Island Bank
- Gulf - Magdalen - northwestern half
- Gulf - Magdalen - southeastern half
- Gulf - Port au Port
- Lake Melville
- Laurentian Fan - northeastern half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Northeast Coast
- Northeast Gulf
- Northern Grand Banks
- Northumberland Strait - eastern half
- Northumberland Strait - western half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - northwestern half
- Southeastern Grand Banks - southeastern half
- Southwestern Grand Banks
- Southwest Coast
- South Coast
- South Labrador Coast - northern half
- South Labrador Coast - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - southern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - eastern half
- Strait of Belle Isle - western half
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Need to travel Alberta Highway 93?
Go prepared with Highway 93 forecasts. Highway regions are available in the Alberta text forecast bulletin between Lake Louise and Jasper. (Photo by: Natalie Anderson)
- Date modified: