Hecate Strait - northern half
Issued 04:00 AM PST 11 December 2023
Today Tonight and Tuesday.
Hurricane force wind warning in effect.
Wind light increasing to south 15 knots this morning and to south 25 early this afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 35 early this evening and to southeast 45 after midnight. Wind increasing to southeast 45 to 55 Tuesday morning then becoming southeast 50 to 65 Tuesday afternoon.
Rain overnight and Tuesday. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Hecate Strait - northern halfIssued 04:00 AM PST 11 December 2023
'Hurricane' force winds of 64 knots or above are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 11 December 2023 Today Tonight and Tuesday At 4:00 a.m. PST today weakening ridge located over Cape St. James
By 4:00 p.m. PST today dissipating ridge located over Explorer
At 4:00 a.m. PST today frontal system located over the Gulf
By 4:00 a.m. PST Tuesday frontal system located on a line
northeast-southwest over northern Bowie.
At 4:00 a.m. PST Tuesday intensifying low 980 mb located west of
the offshore waters.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Tuesday low 964 mb located northwest of Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:36 AM PST 11 December 2023 A front northwest of Bowie will stall today bringing southwesterly
gales over Northern Bowie.
A low pressure system will approach the northern waters late today.
Gale to storm force southerlies will develop over most northern
waters this evening and spread to central waters on Tuesday.
Another vigorous system will reach Haida Gwaii late Tuesday,
spreading storm force southerly winds across the northern and central
waters, with hurricane force southerlies over Hecate Strait and
Dixon Entrance. Winds will veer to southwesterly gales behind the
system Tuesday night.
Mackenzie - Mackenzie River Area
- Axe Point mile 91 to Camsell Bend mile 290
- Bowie - northern half
- Camsell Bend mile 290 to Tulita mile 512
- Dixon Entrance East
- Dixon Entrance West - east of Langara
- Dixon Entrance West - west of Langara
- Fort Good Hope mile 684 to Point Separation mile 913
- Great Slave Lake - basin
- Great Slave Lake - east arm
- Great Slave Lake - north arm
- Hecate Strait - northern half
- Lake Athabasca - eastern half
- Lake Athabasca - western half
- North Mackenzie
- North Tuktoyaktuk
- Point Separation mile 913 to Kittigazuit Bay mile 1081
- Prince Alfred
- Prince of Wales
- Tuktoyaktuk - northern half
- Tuktoyaktuk - southern half
- Tulita mile 512 to Fort Good Hope mile 684
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - northern half
- Wrigley Harbour mile 0 to Axe Point mile 91
- Yukon Coast
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: