South Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 AM NST 21 January 2022
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Wind west 15 to 20 knots increasing to west 25 early this morning then backing to southwest 30 Saturday morning.
Freezing spray warning in effect.
Over open water freezing spray.
Temperatures minus 16 to minus 8 rising to minus 8 to minus 4 Saturday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 20 January 2022 Today Tonight and Friday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4739N 5240W to 4807N 5226W
to 4930N 5315W to 5030N 5519W to 5246N 5358W to 5444N 5456W to 5544N
5633W to 5803N 5738W then northeastward. Sea ice west of the ice
Bergy water except 9 tenths grey-white ice including 2 tenths
first-year ice in the extreme northwestern section.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 2:04 PM EST 20 January 2022
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 21 Jan estimated from the Labrador coast
near 5210N 5550W to 5115N 5140W to 5230N 4905W to 5425N 5115W to
5600N 5500W to 5920N 5655W to 6035N 5210W then eastwards.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
South Labrador SeaIssued 04:00 AM NST 21 January 2022
Moderate or severe freezing spray is occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM NST 21 January 2022 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. NST today intensifying trough located over the East
By 4:00 p.m. NST today low 990 mb located over the East Labrador
At 4:00 p.m. NST today ridge located over northern Labrador.
By 4:00 a.m. NST Saturday ridge located over the Northwest
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:44 AM NST 21 January 2022 A trough of low pressure will intensify into a low pressure system
over the East Labrador Sea today. Strong southwesterly winds ahead of
the trough will shift to gale to storm force northwesterly winds in
its wake. Winds will diminish as it departs the marine district on
Marine interests are advised that a storm warning is in effect for
East Labrador Sea.
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for all regions with open water.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast - Hopedale and south
- Mid Labrador Coast - north of Hopedale
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin - northern half
- West Baffin - southern half
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: