East Labrador Sea
Issued 04:00 PM NST 16 February 2020
Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind variable 10 to 15 knots except west 25 over southern sections late this afternoon and tonight and west 35 over southern sections Monday morning and afternoon. Wind becoming northwest 35 to 45 Monday afternoon.
Flurries. Visibility 1 mile or less in flurries.
A risk of freezing spray over southern sections late this afternoon and this evening.
Temperatures minus 10 to minus 4 rising to minus 3 Monday morning.
East Labrador Sea - northern half
East Labrador Sea - southern half
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 16 February 2020 Today Tonight and Monday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4805N 5250W to 4810N 4930W
to 5425N 5120W to 5620N 5605W to 5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
Forecasts available to mariners upon request.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 16 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4903N 5340W to 4840N 4835W to 5130N 4700W to 5530N 5130W to 6000N
5700W to 6200N 5400W to 5800N 4530W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 16 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5150N 5615W to Newfoundland near 5133N 5600W.
Iceberg CountForecasts available to mariners upon request.
Warnings (In effect)
East Labrador SeaIssued 4:00 PM NST 16 February 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM NST 16 February 2020 Tonight and Monday At 4:00 p.m. NST today intensifying trough located over the
Northwest Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NST Monday low 992 mb located over the northern East
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 PM NST 16 February 2020 A trough of low pressure over the Northwest Labrador Sea will
strengthen into a low pressure system along the northern boundary of
the East Labrador Sea tonight. Strong to gale force west to
northwesterlies will develop south of this feature and in its wake.
Marine interests are advised that gale warnings are in effect for the
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for South Labrador Sea and Northwest Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: