West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 10:30 AM PDT 23 March 2023
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 25 to 35 knots except southeast 25 to 35 near the coast. Wind becoming northwest 30 to 40 this afternoon then diminishing to northwest 20 to 30 early this evening. Wind becoming northwest 25 to 35 after midnight. Wind northwest 25 to 35 Friday.
Rain changing to showers this evening and ending near noon Friday.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Gale warning in effect
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 10:30 AM PDT 23 March 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PDT 23 March 2023 Today Tonight and Friday At 10:30 a.m. PDT today trough located from Haida Gwaii to
By 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight trough located over BC interior.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Friday quasi-stationary ridge located west of
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:26 AM PDT 23 March 2023 A trough from Haida Gwaii to west coast Vancouver Island will slowly
track to the east today and reach the BC Interior tonight. Strong to
gale force southerlies ahead of the trough will shift to strong to
gale force northwesterlies in its wake today. Westerly gales will
spread into the Juan de Fuca Strait later today.
Strong northwesterly winds will continue Friday and Saturday as the
trough of low pressure remains over the interior and a ridge
approaches from the west.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: