West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 04:00 AM PST 23 January 2020
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 15 to 25 knots except southerly 25 to 35 over southern sections this morning. Wind becoming southeast 15 to 25 this evening then veering to southwest 15 to 25 Friday morning.
Rain changing to showers this afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 04:00 AM PST 23 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 23 January 2020 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. PST today dissipating frontal system located over
the Central Coast.
At 4:00 a.m. PST today cold front located on a line
northeast-southwest over central Vancouver Island.
By 10:30 a.m. PST today departing cold front located over southern
At 4:00 p.m. PST today trough located west of Bowie.
By 10:30 a.m. PST Friday departing trough located on a line
north-south over Haida Gwaii.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 4:00 AM PST 23 January 2020 A frontal system located from Hecate Strait to the Central Coast
Will dissipate through the morning. Gale force southeasterlies
Along the front will shift to moderate to strong southwesterly winds
in its wake.
The trailing cold front lies over Central Vancouver Island early this
morning in a northeast to southwest orientation. The cold front will
slide southeastwards across Vancouver Island through the day and
depart the South Coast region in the afternoon. Strong to gale
Force southerlies will persist ahead of the front then ease to
moderate to strong southerlies in its wake.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: