West Coast Vancouver Island South
Issued 10:30 AM PDT 29 October 2020
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southwest 10 to 15 knots increasing to southeast 15 to 25 early this afternoon and to southeast 25 to 35 early this evening. Wind veering to southwest 30 to 40 late this evening then to northwest 30 to 40 after midnight. Wind diminishing to northwest 20 to 30 early Friday morning.
Periods of drizzle changing to rain this evening and ending Friday morning. Fog dissipating Friday morning.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island SouthIssued 10:30 AM PDT 29 October 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PDT 29 October 2020 Today Tonight and Friday At 10:30 a.m. PDT today frontal system located on a line east-west
over the Central Coast.
By 4:00 p.m. PDT today frontal system located on a line east-west
over southern Haida Gwaii.
At 4:00 p.m. PDT today intensifying low 990 mb located over
By midnight PDT tonight low 990 mb located near McInnes Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:19 AM PDT 29 October 2020 A deepening low pressure system will move to lie over Southern Bowie
this afternoon then approach the Central Coast and move onshore near
McInnes Island near midnight.
Ahead of the low, gale to storm force southeasterlies will spread to
central waters and strong to gale force northeasterlies are forecast
over northern waters. Gale to storm force northwest winds will
develop tonight in the wake of the low. A brief period of hurricane
force northwest winds can be expected over Northern Explorer this
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: