West Coast Vancouver Island North
Issued 04:00 PM PDT 21 September 2019
Tonight and Sunday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind south 30 to 40 knots diminishing to south 25 early this evening and to northwest 15 late this evening. Wind increasing to northwest 30 after midnight then diminishing to northwest 20 Sunday evening.
Rain changing to showers tonight and Sunday morning. Visibility 1 mile or less in precipitation.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
West Coast Vancouver Island NorthIssued 4:00 PM PDT 21 September 2019
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PDT 21 September 2019 Tonight and Sunday At 4:00 p.m. PDT today ridge located on a line north-south over
the Lower Mainland.
At 4:00 p.m. PDT today frontal system located on a line
northeast-southwest over Port Hardy.
At 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday approaching ridge located west of the
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:50 PM PDT 21 September 2019 A frontal system is currently over Port Hardy.
Ahead of the front, gale force southerlies will persist over
The Central Coast and along northern and Western Vancouver Island
this evening. In the wake of the front, winds will shift to westerly
and ease to moderate to strong.
Gale force northwesterlies will develop over West Vancouver Island
Sunday morning as a ridge of high pressure builds offshore.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: