Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 10:30 AM PST 19 January 2022
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Wind southeasterly 5 to 15 knots increasing to southeasterly 15 to 20 early this evening then veering to southwest 15 to 25 early Thursday morning. Wind veering to northwest 10 to 20 Thursday afternoon.
Periods of drizzle changing to rain near noon and ending Thursday morning. Showers Thursday late in the day. Fog patches dissipating early this afternoon.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 19 January 2022 Today Tonight and Thursday At 10:30 a.m. PST today frontal system located west of Haida Gwaii.
By 4:00 p.m. PST today frontal system located from Hecate Strait
to the Central Coast.
At 4:00 p.m. PST today trough located on a line north-south
By 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday trough located on a line north-south
over the Central Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 10:21 AM PST 19 January 2022 A frontal system continues to move across the northern waters today.
Gale force southeasterlies will continue over the northern and
central waters. As it approaches the mainland coast, storm force
southeasterlies will develop across Northern Hecate Strait and Dixon
Entrance East near midday.
A trough rapidly following this frontal system this afternoon will
maintain southeast gale force winds from Hecate Strait to Queen
Charlotte Strait. Storm force southeasterlies will develop
From Southern Hecate Strait to the headlands of Vancouver Island late
Winds will veer to gale force westerly tonight in the wake of the
trough then ease Thursday morning.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: