Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 04:00 AM PST 08 December 2023
Today Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northwest 10 to 15 knots diminishing to light early this afternoon then increasing to southeast 10 to 15 early this evening. Wind increasing to southeast 15 to 20 late this evening and to southeast 20 to 25 after midnight. Wind increasing to southeast 25 to 35 near noon Saturday then becoming southeast 25 Saturday evening.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - south of NanaimoIssued 04:00 AM PST 08 December 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 8 December 2023 Today Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 a.m. PST today ridge located on a line north-south over
the offshore waters.
By 4:00 p.m. PST today ridge located on a line north-south over
At 4:00 p.m. PST today intensifying frontal system located west
By 4:00 a.m. PST Saturday frontal system located over Queen
At noon PST Saturday frontal system located from the Alaska
panhandle to Vancouver Island.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 4:00 AM PST 8 December 2023 An approaching frontal system will bring gale to storm force
southeast winds to the offshore waters this afternoon. Winds will
rise to strong to gale force southeasterly over the northern and
central waters and west of Vancouver Island this evening as the
frontal system approaches.
On Saturday morning, winds are likely to rise to hurricane force
southeasterlies in a broad swath from Dixon east, through Hecate
Strait and Queen Charlotte Strait, to Northern Vancouver Island.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: