Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 24 September 2023
Tonight and Monday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 20 to 30 knots becoming southeast 25 to 35 early Monday morning then diminishing to southeast 15 to 25 early Monday evening.
Periods of rain. Risk of thunderstorms Monday afternoon and evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - south of NanaimoIssued 9:30 PM PDT 24 September 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 24 September 2023 Tonight and Monday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight intensifying frontal system located
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Monday frontal system located from Vancouver
Island to Haida Gwaii.
At 4:00 a.m. PDT Monday low 964 mb located off Explorer.
By 9:30 p.m. PDT Monday low 972 mb located over southern Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:12 PM PDT 24 September 2023 An intensifying frontal system will approach Vancouver Island
tonight, spreading storm to local hurricane force southeasterly winds
across southern and central waters. Significant wave height of 10
metres is expected for the northwestern half of Explorer tonight into
Another intense low will move from Explorer to Bowie on Monday
maintaining gale to storm force southeast winds across much of the
marine regions. Local hurricane force southeast winds are expected
near the headlands of West Coast Vancouver Island North Monday
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: