Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 18 September 2021
Tonight and Sunday.
Wind southeast 10 to 20 knots becoming southwesterly 5 to 15 late overnight then becoming light late Sunday morning. Wind becoming northwest 5 to 15 early Sunday evening.
Showers or a few thunderstorms. Risk of waterspouts late this evening and a risk of thunderstorms Sunday afternoon and evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Watches (In effect)
Waterspout watch in effect
Strait of GeorgiaIssued 6:21 PM PDT 18 September 2021 Conditions are favourable for the development of waterspouts.
Waterspouts are possible this evening and overnight on the Strait of Georgia.
Wind speeds inside the spray ring of a waterspout are 45 knots or higher. Vulnerable vessels are at risk of damage or capsizing. Waterspouts are generally short-lived in nature, typically lasting 20 minutes or less. Waterspouts sometimes appear as funnel clouds with swirling water visible near the surface.
Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. For more information monitor Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 18 September 2021 Tonight and Sunday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight low located over Haida Gwaii.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday departing low located over the North Coast.
At 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday ridge located west of the offshore waters.
By 4:00 p.m. PDT Sunday ridge located on a line north-south over
the offshore waters.
At 4:00 p.m. PDT Sunday approaching frontal system located west
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:28 PM PDT 18 September 2021 A frontal system will move into Bowie from the west Sunday evening.
Gale force southeast winds will develop along the front.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: