Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PST 08 December 2023
Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 15 knots increasing to southeast 15 to 25 near midnight and to southeast 25 to 35 early Saturday morning. Wind becoming southeast 20 to 30 Saturday evening.
Rain Saturday morning and afternoon changing to drizzle. Visibility as low as 1 mile in rain.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - north of NanaimoIssued 01:21 AM PST 09 December 2023
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 8 December 2023 Tonight and Saturday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight departing ridge located on a line
north-south over the South Coast.
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight intensifying frontal system located west
By 1:00 p.m. PST Saturday departing frontal system located from
Hecate Strait to Vancouver Island.
At 4:00 p.m. PST Saturday trough located over Haida Gwaii extending
By midnight PST Saturday weakening trough located over the North
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:18 PM PST 8 December 2023 An approaching frontal system is bringing gale to storm force
southeast winds to the offshore waters. Winds will rise to strong to
gale force southeasterly over the northern and central waters and
west of Vancouver Island as the frontal system approaches.
On Saturday morning, winds are likely to rise to hurricane force
southeasterlies in a broad swath from Southern Hecate Strait, through
Queen Charlotte Strait, to Northern Vancouver Island.
Gale force northwesterlies over northern waters, west of Haida Gwaii
will follow this system late Saturday as a sharp surface trough
follows the frontal system.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: