Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
Issued 09:30 PM PDT 22 September 2023
Tonight and Saturday.
Strong wind warning in effect.
Wind southeast 5 to 15 knots increasing to southeast 15 to 20 late overnight and to southeast 20 to 25 early Saturday morning. Wind increasing to southeast 25 to 30 late Saturday morning then diminishing to southeast 10 to 20 early Saturday afternoon except southwest 25 near Qualicum Beach Saturday afternoon and evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Strait of Georgia - north of NanaimoIssued 9:30 PM PDT 22 September 2023
'Strong' winds of 20 to 33 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PDT 22 September 2023 Tonight and Saturday At 9:30 p.m. PDT tonight trough located off Vancouver Island.
By 1:00 p.m. PDT Saturday weakening trough located over Vancouver
At 4:00 p.m. PDT Saturday trough located west of Bowie.
By 4:00 a.m. PDT Sunday intensifying trough located over Bowie.
At 4:00 p.m. PDT Sunday approaching frontal system located southwest
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:33 PM PDT 22 September 2023 A trough extending from the Central Coast to Explorer will develop
into a low over Southeastern Explorer overnight. The low centre is
expected to cross Vancouver Island Saturday near noon. Strong to gale
Force winds are expected to develop near the low tonight then become
strong southerlies over the Strait of Georgia as the low crosses the
island and weakens.
A deep low pressure system is expected to spread gale to storm force
winds across the BC waters Sunday through Monday.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
- Date modified: