Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
Issued 04:00 AM PST 20 January 2022
Today Tonight and Friday.
Wind southeast 20 to 30 knots diminishing to southwest 10 to 20 early this morning except southwest 25 near Qualicum Beach. Wind becoming northwest 15 this afternoon then diminishing to light late overnight. Wind light Friday.
Rain early this morning changing to showers and ending this evening.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
No watches or warnings in effect.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 20 January 2022 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. PST today frontal system located on a line north-south
over central Vancouver Island.
By 7:00 a.m. PST today departing frontal system located on a line
north-south over the Lower Mainland.
At 4:00 a.m. PST today trough located over Bowie.
By 10:30 a.m. PST today dissipating trough located over Queen
At 10:30 a.m. PST today ridge located west of the offshore waters.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Friday quasi-stationary ridge located over the
At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary frontal system located
west of Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:57 AM PST 20 January 2022 A weakened frontal system over Vancouver Island will depart the South
Coast to the east this morning. In the wake of the system, gale force
westerlies will develop through Juan de Fuca Strait this morning and
continue into this evening before easing.
A trough over offshore waters this morning is maintaining widespread
strong to gale force westerlies across most outer and offshore
waters. The trough will rapidly weaken through the day and the
westerlies will ease to generally moderate speeds by this afternoon.
Another frontal system will stall just west of Bowie tonight and
Friday. During this period, southerly gales will develop across
Bowie and parts of the northern waters.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: