Queen Charlotte Strait
Issued 04:00 PM PST 09 December 2022
Tonight and Saturday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 30 to 40 knots diminishing to east 20 to 30 early Saturday morning and to east 10 to 20 Saturday afternoon. Wind diminishing to light Saturday evening.
Periods of rain ending near noon Saturday.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Queen Charlotte StraitIssued 4:00 PM PST 09 December 2022
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 PM PST 9 December 2022 Tonight and Saturday At 4:00 p.m. PST today low 982 mb located over southwestern
By 9:30 p.m. PST Saturday low located south of Explorer.
At 4:00 p.m. PST Saturday approaching ridge located west of the
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:56 PM PST 9 December 2022 A low has stalled over Explorer. The low will drift southwards,
exiting the region late on Saturday. A ridge well west of the
offshore waters will gradually approach the region through the
In between the low and Vancouver Island, storm force southeasterlies
will diminish to gale force late this evening and to moderate to
strong after midnight.
For inner south-coast waters, gale force southeasterlies will
continue through the night, and are expected to ease through the
morning on Saturday. Storm force gusts are possible for the eastern
entrance of Juan de Fuca Strait this evening.
Gale force northerly winds will follow the departure of the low over
most outer coastal waters. Expect strong outflow winds to develop
near north and Central Coast inlets tonight. These winds will likely
strengthen through the weekend.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: