Queen Charlotte Strait
Issued 04:00 AM PST 01 December 2022
Today Tonight and Friday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind light except northeasterly outflow 35 knots near the mainland inlets this morning. Wind becoming southeast 5 to 15 this afternoon then increasing to southeast 20 to 30 this evening. Wind increasing to southeast 35 overnight except northeast 35 near the mainland inlets overnight and Friday and northeast 45 near the mainland inlets Friday afternoon and evening.
Temperatures minus 4 rising to plus 2 Friday afternoon.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Queen Charlotte StraitIssued 04:00 AM PST 01 December 2022
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 1 December 2022 Today Tonight and Friday At 4:00 a.m. PST today weakening ridge located over BC interior.
By 4:00 a.m. PST Friday building ridge located over BC interior.
At 10:30 a.m. PST today low located northwest of Bowie.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Friday low 998 mb located over southern Explorer.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:34 AM PST 1 December 2022 In the wake of a low, gale force northerlies over Explorer will ease
Gale force outflow winds through the mainland inlets will ease today
as a ridge weakens over the BC Interior, and redevelop on Friday when
the ridge rebuilds.
Another low pressure system will track southwards across Bowie
tonight and Explorer on Friday. Ahead of the low, southerly gales
will develop off the west coast of Haida Gwaii this afternoon and
spread to central and southern waters overnight. On Friday morning,
southeast gales west of Vancouver Island will increase to storm
Force as the low approaches.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: