Issued 10:30 AM PST 19 January 2022
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 20 to 30 knots becoming southeast 25 to 35 early this evening then diminishing to variable 5 to 15 early Thursday morning. Wind becoming northwest 10 to 20 Thursday afternoon.
Rain changing to scattered showers Thursday morning.
Strong wind warning program has ended for the season.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Johnstone StraitIssued 10:30 AM PST 19 January 2022
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 10:30 AM PST 19 January 2022 Today Tonight and Thursday At 10:30 a.m. PST today frontal system located west of Haida Gwaii.
By 4:00 p.m. PST today frontal system located from Hecate Strait
to the Central Coast.
At 4:00 p.m. PST today trough located on a line north-south
By 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday trough located on a line north-south
over the Central Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:39 PM PST 19 January 2022 A frontal system over Haida Gwaii will move across the north and
central coasts this evening. Gale to storm force southeasterlies will
continue over the northern and central waters ahead of the system.
A trough rapidly following this frontal system will maintain
southeast gale force winds from Hecate Strait to queen
Charlotte strait. Winds will veer to gale force westerly tonight in
the wake of the trough then ease Thursday morning.
Another front will spread southerly gales to Bowie Thursday evening.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
Hello Weather: our upgraded telephone weather service is here. 1-833-794-3556 or 1-833-79HELLO.
- Date modified: