Hecate Strait - southern half
Issued 04:00 AM PST 01 February 2023
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind southerly 15 to 25 knots except southeast 30 to 40 near the mainland coast this morning. Wind becoming southeast 35 this evening then increasing to southeast 40 to 50 Thursday morning.
Periods of rain. Visibility 1 mile or less in rain.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Hecate Strait - southern halfIssued 04:00 AM PST 01 February 2023
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 1 February 2023 Today Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 a.m. PST today trough located on a line northwest-southeast
By 4:00 p.m. PST today departing trough located on a line east-west
At 4:00 p.m. PST today frontal system located off Explorer.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday frontal system located on a line
north-south over Haida Gwaii.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:48 AM PST 1 February 2023 Southeast gales will persist along the Central Coast today as a
trough of low pressure sweeps across Haida Gwaii. Storm force
southeasterlies over Eastern Queen Charlotte Sound will ease later
An approaching frontal system will track northeastwards across the
offshore waters tonight and Haida Gwaii on Thursday. Ahead of the
front, southeast gales will develop over southern and central waters
this evening and then northern waters overnight. The southeast gales
will continue through Thursday and increase to storm force from
Hecate Strait - south to the headlands of North Vancouver Island.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: