Hecate Strait - southern half
Issued 09:30 PM PST 30 November 2022
Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind northeast 25 to 35 knots becoming northeast 25 late overnight then diminishing to northerly 15 Thursday morning. Wind diminishing to light near noon Thursday then increasing to southeast 5 to 15 Thursday afternoon. Wind increasing to southeast 20 to 30 Thursday evening.
Risk of freezing spray near midnight.
Temperatures near minus 3.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Hecate Strait - southern halfIssued 9:30 PM PST 30 November 2022
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 PM PST 30 November 2022 Tonight and Thursday At 9:30 p.m. PST tonight quasi-stationary ridge located over
At 10:30 a.m. PST Thursday low located northwest of Bowie.
By 9:30 p.m. PST Thursday low 992 mb located over southern Bowie.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:22 PM PST 30 November 2022 A ridge of high pressure over the BC Interior will continue to give
gale to storm force outflow winds through the mainland inlets
tonight. Winds will ease on Thursday as the ridge weakens but will
likely restrengthen Friday as the ridge rebuilds. Over northern
coastal waters, a risk of freezing spray will continue tonight as
Arctic air pushes out from the mainland inlets.
In the wake of a low, gale to storm force northerlies over offshore,
central and northern waters, will gradually ease tonight.
Another low pressure system will track southwards across the offshore
waters Thursday night. Ahead of the low, southerly gales will develop
off the west coast of Haida Gwaii Thursday afternoon and spread to
central and southern waters overnight.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: