Explorer - northwestern half
Issued 04:00 AM PST 22 January 2020
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Gale warning in effect.
Wind southeast 25 knots increasing to southeast 30 to 40 early this morning then diminishing to southwest 20 to 30 near noon. Wind southwest 20 to 30 tonight. Wind south 15 to 25 Thursday.
Rain ending overnight. Showers Thursday afternoon and evening.
Zoom-in to make a selection
There is no ice forecast issued for this area.
Warnings (In effect)
Explorer - northwestern halfIssued 04:00 AM PST 22 January 2020
'Gale' force winds of 34 to 47 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Watch for updated statements. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 4:00 AM PST 22 January 2020 Today Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 a.m. PST today frontal system located off Explorer.
By 4:00 p.m. PST today frontal system located from Haida Gwaii
At 4:00 a.m. PST Thursday cold front located from the Central
Coast to Explorer.
By 4:00 p.m. PST Thursday weakening cold front located on a line
north-south over the South Coast.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 3:44 AM PST 22 January 2020 A frontal system will move across the offshore waters this
Morning and lie across Queen Charlotte Sound by the afternoon.
Ahead of the front, gale to local storm force southeasterlies will
develop over the offshore and central waters this morning, then
spread to northern and southern waters this afternoon. The system
will move across the North Coast tonight. Winds will ease to moderate
to strong southerlies behind it.
The trailing cold front will lie across the Central Coast Thursday
morning and move across the South Coast Thursday afternoon. Strong to
gale force southeasterlies will persist ahead of the front then ease
to moderate to strong southerlies in its wake.
Pacific - South Coast Area
- Bowie - southern half
- Central Coast from McInnes Island to Pine Island
- Explorer - northwestern half
- Explorer - southeastern half
- Haro Strait
- Hecate Strait - southern half
- Howe Sound
- Johnstone Strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - central strait
- Juan de Fuca Strait - east entrance
- Juan de Fuca Strait - west entrance
- Queen Charlotte Sound - eastern half
- Queen Charlotte Sound - western half
- Queen Charlotte Strait
- Strait of Georgia - north of Nanaimo
- Strait of Georgia - south of Nanaimo
- West Coast Haida Gwaii - southern half
- West Coast Vancouver Island North
- West Coast Vancouver Island South
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: