North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
Issued 09:30 AM NST 19 February 2020
Today Tonight and Thursday.
Storm warning in effect.
Wind light increasing to northwest 15 knots this afternoon and to northwest 35 this evening. Wind increasing to northwest 45 to 55 late overnight then diminishing to northwest 35 to 45 Thursday evening.
Risk of freezing spray tonight and Thursday.
Temperatures minus 21 rising to minus 15 this evening then falling to minus 24 Thursday afternoon.
Zoom-in to make a selection
Ice ForecastsIssued 10:00 AM EST 19 February 2020 Today Tonight and Thursday
Ice EdgeIce edge estimated from Newfoundland near 4825N 5305W to 4805N 4930W
to 5415N 5105W to 5610N 5535W to 5800N 5730W then northward. Sea ice
west of the ice edge.
Ice CoverageIce pressure warning in effect.
9 tenths first-year ice including a trace of old ice. Strong ice
pressure in the pack ice developing Thursday morning.
Iceberg BulletinIssued 11:00 AM EST 19 February 2020
Iceberg LimitIceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Feb estimated from Newfoundland near
4830N 5308W to 4815N 4850W to 4900N 4810W to 5045N 4730W to 5530N
5130W to 6100N 5700W to 6300N 5400W to 5830N 5000W then eastwards.
Western iceberg limit at 0000 UTC 19 Feb estimated from the Labrador
coast near 5150N 5615W to Newfoundland near 5133N 5600W.
Iceberg CountUnknown number of icebergs.
Warnings (In effect)
North Labrador CoastIssued 09:30 AM NST 19 February 2020
'Storm' force winds of 48 to 63 knots are occurring or expected to occur in this marine area. Please refer to the latest marine forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio or Weatheradio stations.
North Labrador Coast - north of SaglekIssued 10:00 AM EST 19 February 2020
Navigators in this marine area should be on the lookout for hazardous ice conditions and take necessary safety precautions. Please refer to the latest ice forecasts for further details and continue to monitor the situation through Canadian Coast Guard radio stations.
Technical Marine SynopsisIssued 9:30 AM NST 19 February 2020 Today Tonight and Thursday At 4:00 p.m. NST today deepening low 996 mb located over Labrador
By 4:00 p.m. NST Thursday low 975 mb located over the Northwest
At 9:30 a.m. NST today ridge located over Labrador Sea.
By 4:00 p.m. NST today departing ridge located on a line
northwest-southeast over the East Labrador Sea.
Marine Weather StatementIssued 9:16 AM NST 19 February 2020 A low pressure system will form over the Labrador Sea this afternoon
and rapidly deepen tonight. Gale to storm force northwesterly winds
are forecast west and south of this system while strong to gale force
easterlies are expected to its east.
Marine interests are advised that storm warnings are in effect for
North Labrador Coast, South Labrador Sea, and Northwest Labrador Sea.
Gale warnings are in effect for all remaining waters except Lake
Marine interests are also advised that freezing spray warnings are in
effect for the Labrador Sea.
Arctic - Eastern Arctic Area
- Arviat - eastern half
- Arviat - western half
- Central Brevoort - northern half
- Central Brevoort - southern half
- Central - eastern half
- Central - western half
- Clarence - northern half
- Clarence - southern half
- Coats - northern half
- Coats - southern half
- East Baffin - northern half
- East Baffin - southern half
- East Brevoort - northern half
- East Brevoort - southern half
- East Clyde - northern half
- East Clyde - southern half
- East Davis - northern half
- East Davis - southern half
- East Foxe
- East Labrador Sea
- Eureka - southern half
- Frobisher Bay
- Jones - eastern half
- Jones - western half
- Kane - southern half
- Lancaster - eastern half
- Lancaster - western half
- Mid Labrador Coast
- Navy Board
- Northwest Labrador Sea - eastern half
- Northwest Labrador Sea - western half
- North Labrador Coast - north of Saglek
- North Labrador Coast - Saglek and south
- Nottingham - eastern half
- Nottingham - western half
- Prince Charles
- Puvirnituq - northern half
- Puvirnituq - southern half
- Rankin - northern half
- Rankin - southern half
- Resolution - eastern half
- Resolution - western half
- Roes Welcome - northern half
- Roes Welcome - southern half
- South Labrador Sea - eastern half
- South Labrador Sea - western half
- South Sverdrup
- South-central Hudson - eastern half
- St. Roch
- West Baffin
- West Brevoort - northern half
- West Brevoort - southern half
- West Clyde - northern half
- West Clyde - southern half
- West Davis - northern half
- West Davis - southern half
- West Foxe
- Arctic - Eastern Arctic
- Arctic - Western Arctic
- Atlantic - Labrador
- Atlantic - Maritimes
- Atlantic - Newfoundland
- Great Lakes - Lake Erie and Lake Ontario
- Great Lakes - Lake Huron
- Great Lakes - Lake Superior
What we are doing
- Date modified: